Monday, August 3, 2026

The Lassie and Her Godmother

This mixed media piece was inspired by "The Lassie and Her Godmother," a Norwegian fairy tale. The tutorial is by Angela Kennedy for A Year of Magic and Fairy Tales.

I drew this piece with a Graphgear 1000 Pentel Pencil in a Canson XL watercolor 140 lb. sketchbook. I followed Angela on the video and used the template provided to help me draw the window and door frame. I used Winsor and Newton and also Jane Davenport watercolors to paint the inside of the frame. I used salt while the watercolors were wet. When the colors were dry, I used Daler Dowey Acrylic Ink to paint the frame. After the frame was dry, I added the sun and moon in Fine Tec Pearlescent watercolors.

Again I watched Angela on video draw and paint the girl as I drew her on a piece of 5x7" Canson watercolor paper and used a blending stump for shading on her facial features. I painted the girl in watercolors and used a Micron Pen for the hair strands. After I cut her out, I used a Prismacolor Pencil on the edge of her hair. Then I adhered the girl to the painted background.

I was so surprised that this piece came out so well. The thing that helped was using the frame template for my reference! I hate drawing straight lines and using a ruler and was sure I would mess it up!

Challenges: 

https://avenue613.blogspot.com/2026/08/august-2026-anything-goes-w-optional.html 

https://hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com/2026/08/challenge-202608-anything-goes.html 

https://creativefingerschallengeblog.blogspot.com/2026/07/challenge-327.html 

https://sendasmile4kidschallenge.blogspot.com/2026/08/sas4kids-anything-goes-4-kids.html 

1 comment:

Jackie C said...

Great work here Carla!
We're always thrilled to see each entry arrive in our mailbox at 613 Avenue Create.
We do hope you'll return!
Wishing you the very best of luck with your entry.
Warm Wishes, Jackie,
DT member at 613 xx