Friday, February 14, 2014

Love is...a Tribute to Shirley Temple

Shirley Temple has been my idol as far back as I can remember. I’ve loved her movies, coveted her doll and loved her songs…especially “The Goodship Lollipop.” Back in 1958 her television show, “Shirley Temple Storybook,” had me in front of the TV each week!

Although I never did get that doll back in the 50s, I own her now and when she didn’t have that adorable dotted dress, I made her one.  She wears a charm bracelet around her neck and a Shirley button can be seen prominently on her dress skirt. I have a pretty good size collection of VHS tapes and DVDs and still enjoy reading and looking over the pictures in “The Films of Shirley Temple,” by Robert Windeler.

Shirley had 56 blond ringlets and sparkled through 23 motion pictures during the Depression years of the 30s, when she made a sad nation, smile. In the 1960s, as a level-headed adult she became a diplomat and a United States Ambassador. Later at a time when cancer operations were not discussed publicly Shirley held a news conference discussing her mastectomy, urging women discovering breast lumps not to “sit home and be afraid.” She is credited with helping to make talking about breast cancer acceptable.

We lost Shirley Temple on February 10th, at the age of 85. She had a life of remarkable achievements as an actor and diplomat, as well as a wonderful women with a loving family.

The little girl in the card above is a digital stamp from Mo's Digital Pencil. She was designed as a tribute to America's most famous and beloved child star of all time. Love is...Shirley Temple, the best illustration for the latest challenge on that site.

I used Prismacolor pencils and odorless mineral spirits. The paper background is from my collection.

 Isn't this the perfect card for the challenge at Mo's Digital pencil!

4 comments:

Mau xx said...

What a Beautiful Tribute to Shirley. Thank you so much for using our lovely new image and for writing so lovingly a bout this wonderful lady Carla.
I too used to love her films and songs as a child.
A lovely card beautifully coloured, Thank you for sharing with us at Mo's
Hugs Mau xx

R howard said...

That was just beautiful Carla..

lis-m said...

I am loving this image.. perfect!
Thanks for joining us this week at Mo's digital pencil challenge for my "Love is..." challenge Good luck! x

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

What a beautiful Tribute to Shirley Temple. You have done such a splendid job with this card.
Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick
http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com