Saturday, May 19, 2012

Dry Embossing Revisited

Months ago I used a 50% off coupon to buy a light box at Michaels, only I haven't used the box until now. I also picked up a new metal stencil at Hobby Lobby.

A friend recently asked for me to make some cards with ladybugs, bees and butterflies embellished on them. Since the stencil had butterflies and I had more stencils, I decided to make my friend's cards using these and the new light box.

Supplies:
Brass embossing stencil
Stylus (dual ended)
Light box
Clear Vellum or tracing paper
Card stock
Wax paper

Rubbing the wax paper across the card stock, which makes it easier for the stylus to glide across the paper. I placed the vellum on the top of the light box, so I wouldn't scratch to box while using my stylus. I used the stylus tracing around the outer edge of each open area, beginning with the larger end. Make sharper detail by following the larger point with the smaller end. There is no need to fill the entire area to be embossed. The outline serves to raise the interior surface as well. Make sure to press the stylus gently, so that the paper won't tear. The flip side of the card stock is the finished embossed side.

I used a Martha Stewart punch for the butterflies and my Cricut "Just Because," Cards cartridge for the ladybugs.

I enjoyed the new light box so much that I tried out all my stencils and came up with lots of new cards for my friend!


6 comments:

Ellen said...

They look beautiful! Would make nice get well cards, they are so cheery!

Anonymous said...

great technique!

Crafts a la Mode said...

These are darling! And original. Great. love 'em. I'm into gardening now but in the fall, I want to do these for sure. Take care, Linda

Unknown said...

I love the way these came out. The embossing technique is great. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to try my hand at embossing. Thanks for letting me know what I need to get started!

Michelle Day said...

Beautiful! I have't used my dry embossing in forever! I guess it's time to get them out. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week.

I can’t wait to see what you link up this week. Have a great day.

Michelle