Sunday, January 15, 2012

Key to My Heart Valentine


Ok, so February 14th is Valentine's Day...15th is my actual anniversary! Guess what, I get to celebrate for two days straight!

When I taught art, back in New York, my students made their own Valentines as their project for a special day in February. They loved using all the supplies I left out for them to work on their own. They went home with beautiful creative cards, for their moms and dads.

Back to today's card. I feel fortunate to have been able to buy Cricut's cartridge "Everyday Pop-up Cards," but sometimes the cuts don't work for me. So here is where creativity gets going!

First I covered the 5x7" blank card front with print card stock and then cut a 5" lock heart (page 68 layer 2) from gold card stock. I cut the handle off the top and glue the gold heart to the card front.
Then I used the same card stock to cover the inside of the card.


 For the pop-up cube. Cut a strip of paper 1 ½” x 6 ¼” and fold it in half lengthways and then again in half. There should be three folds.
Cut ¼” off both ends of the strip.
Fold the strip on those lines with mountain folds into a cube shape.
Open the cube with the peaks of the fold up, place glue on both end sections of the strip.
Fold the strip back to a cube and the place the cube into the center of the card at equal distance from the top and bottom. The middle fold in the strip is lined up with the card fold. The card should open and close easily.

The key which is a rub on from a bin at Michaels cut out and glued to the cube in front to pop up. Next I cut "Key to my heart" (same page) at 5" from the pop up shift. I like the wording, but not the way it would pop, so I cut those parts away and glued the welded words below the pop up.

Be creative with your Cricut cartridges...enjoy designing your own ideas.
Additonal Pop up cards made in this way:



32 comments:

Sherry said...

Your pop up cards are really awesome. Thanks for sharing them with me.
Sherry
gettingcricky Jr. Dt.

Carla's Cards said...

Thanks for your comment!

Amanda said...

What adorable cards! Great job!! TYFS :)

Amanda
Getting Cricky JrDt
cricktncrafts.blogspot.com

Carla's Cards said...

Thanks so much for you comments, Amanda!

Heather May Holbrook said...

Hi Carla! Really great projects, and a great tutorial too! TFS!! Popping over from the Getting Cricky Linky party, and new follower!
Hugs,
Heather P
www.heather-p.blogspot.com

Debbie said...

love your cards and you do such a great job on all your cards hugs Debbie
GC.Jr Dt

Patty B said...

Super cards! I have this cart and haven't used it...yet! Thanks for sharing!

Carla's Cards said...

Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments ladies!
Lovely to have a new follower, Heather!

Claire said...

LOVE the heart & key design..it's just what I was thinking of doing for my husband for Valentine's Day!
I agree with you on the cartridge..not always the way it looks in the pic!
TFS..new follower, hope you stop by
Creative Wishes,
Claire
www.scrapmyway.blogspot.com

Carla's Cards said...

Thanks for your comments Claire!

Aim said...

Great job improvising on a cartridge that I just can't get the hang of!! :) Maybe now I'll have to pull it out and try again!! :)

Thanks so much for sharing your talent and your blog in the Link Up Love Party with K Andrew!!

Amy :) at www.lovetocrop.com
Getting Cricky DTM

Carla's Cards said...

Yes, Amy, that cart is giving everyone problems and I just had to get some use of it and I think my idea is more of a stand out than what was supposed to be done with those words. Creativity is improv, most of the time!
Thanks for your great comments!

Sugarlips said...

This is adorable. I have never seen the pop up cards. I may have to check it out.

I came over from the Link up with love.

Jessie
Getting Cricky Jr DTM

Carla's Cards said...

Thanks for your comments, Jessie! I love pop-ups but sometimes, I feel my ideas are better to use!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Very cute. Nice job.

Unknown said...

Nice cards, I really have to learn to do popup cards, thank you for the inspiration and have a super time linking up!!!

Carla's Cards said...

Naomi, thanks for your comments, I hope you try the pop ups, they are fun figure out!

Jana said...

Happy Anniversary! I really like your card, you did a great job. Thanks for linking up with is at Getting Cricky!

Blessings,
Jana
My Blog

Carla's Cards said...

Thanks for your comments Jana!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Who doesn't love a pop up card?! Great and cute!

Jennifer McLean said...

These are adorable! where did you find the sweet keys?
Best,
Jenn from http://www.JustAddWaterSilly.com, hopping from check me out saturdays.
(newest follower)

Carla's Cards said...

Hey Jenn,
Those keys were rub on from a bin at Michaels! Thanks so much for your comments..I think I will follow you home!

marg0006 said...

Am coming from Link Up Love Party. I have never made a pop up card. they look difficult.
marg0006@verizon.net
Loving Scrapper 101

Carla's Cards said...

Hi Marg, thanks for your comments...no pop ups aren't that hard and this one to make a cube is really easy! You should give it a try!

Anita Braddock said...

Love your cards they are supper cute. you have done a great job. thanks for sharing.
Anita Getting Cricky JrDt. member
www.anita-craft-corner.blogspot.com

Carol's Creations said...

Visiting from Link Up Love Party and these Pop-Ups are awesome! BTW...I'm your newest follower!

Tina said...

Love love love your pop ups! Great job! TFS! I am a new follower!
Tina
www.myhoppyplace.blogspot.com

Tammy said...

this is so UBER CUTE and creative!! My daddy worked in "dead letters" for the US postal service when I was little and on occasion he'd get to bring me a special card or two---a couple were pop up cards---such sweet memories! I just KNOW that you'll create some wonderful memories for your recipients:) WOW---thank so much for sharing and allowing me to glean from you---so glad to follow you!! :) be blessed
Beyond Measure
tammy
www.bbbm.weebly.com
bartlettpair4atmsndotcom

Carla's Cards said...

Thanks so much for all the lovely comments!

Jenscrapstoo said...

Great cards, these are just wonderful!!
Thanks for Linking Up the Love
Cheers Jennie
www.jenscrapstoo.blogspot.com

The Craftin Mama said...

Love them all!! Great job!!

Hug's and Happy Craftin :)
Ildi-Getting Cricky SrDTM
The Craftin Mama
Please visit me too!
Webmasters Earn Money Here!
ildij3@verizon.net

Katie said...

I love the little pop up inside, fun!