Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Rusalka of the River

 

This lovely image is from a tutorial by Karen Campbell for "A Year of Magic and Fairy Tales." Her name is Rusalka and she is a dangerous, female water spirit in Russian folklore, who often lures humans to their deaths. Once a victim gets close the spirit drags them underwater.

I drew this dangerous spirit following Karen's instructions and used her traceable for a reference, using a Graphgear 1000 Pentel Pencil. The piece is on Fabriano hot press watercolor paper. I used a Prima Currents watercolor palette. I used a Blackwing pencil and a paper blending stump for shading used in her eyes and a Micron Pen for her eye makeup. I also a white Gelly Roll Pen for the highlights.

It was fun to choose the greens and blues for this image! I'm really happy with how the image came out.

Challenges: 

 https://avenue613.blogspot.com/2026/09/september-2026-anything-goes-w-optional.html 

https://hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com/2026/09/challenge-202609-anything-goes-w.html 

https://aperfecttimetocraft.blogspot.com/2026/07/a-perfect-time-to-craft-open-challenge_01035597380.html 

https://allsortschallenge.blogspot.com/2026/09/challenge-858.html 

5 comments:

Em Louise Fairley said...

Another beautiful piece, Carla! Thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue Create. I hope we see you on the front porch again soon!

Hugs, Em
613 Avenue Create Co-Owner
A Place To Start DT
Creative Em my blog
Creative Em on YouTube my Youtube channel

Betta said...

Thanks for stopping by A Place To Start !
Bettascrap DT

brenda said...

Beautifully done Carla, many thanks fir joining us at Allsorts challenge.

B x

Gail L said...

She's really lovely!
Thank you for joining us at Allsorts!

Lynne said...

A beautiful piece of work. Thank you for sharing at Allsorts.