Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Cardinal on a Snowy Branch of Holly

 

I chose to paint this tutorial of the Red Cardinal on Snowy Holly, because I was interested in how artist Diane Antone would do the lovely Bokeh background.

I transferred the sketch that was provided, onto my Canson 140 lb. cold press watercolor paper, using my light pad. After wetting the paper, I applied several colors of Winsor Newton Cotman watercolor tubes to the background leaving the area where the bird was to go white.. I let the paper dry and then I used several sizes of circle stencils to rub out the color with a natural sponge or a stencil brush. Then I painted the holly branch and Cardinal.

I used a Micron Pen 01 for details and used Winsor Newton Goauche for the snow. Later I spattered the painting with some blue watercolor and white acrylic ink.

Challenges:

http://thehollyandivychristmaschallenge.blogspot.com/2022/12/challenge-130-anything-christmas-goes.html

https://craftinghappinesschallenges.blogspot.com/2022/12/137-christmas.html 

2 comments:

Lynda said...

Such an amazing creation - love the details of the background, but I especially love the cardinal - great job. Thank you for joining us at The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge xx Lynda/Loopyloo DT

Kate said...

Such a lovely scene Carla! I love the Bokeh effect! Thanks for joining us at The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge! Hope to see you again soon,
Hugs, Kate (Cards a la Kate)!