Pages

▼

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Rusalka of the River

 

This lovely image is from a tutorial by Karen Campbell for "A Year of Magic and Fairy Tales." Her name is Rusalka and she is a dangerous, female water spirit in Russian folklore, who often lures humans to their deaths. Once a victim gets close the spirit drags them underwater.

I drew this dangerous spirit following Karen's instructions and used her traceable for a reference, using a Graphgear 1000 Pentel Pencil. The piece is on Fabriano hot press watercolor paper. I used a Prima Currents watercolor palette. I used a Blackwing pencil and a paper blending stump for shading used in her eyes and a Micron Pen for her eye makeup. I also a white Gelly Roll Pen for the highlights.

It was fun to choose the greens and blues for this image! I'm really happy with how the image came out.

Challenges: 

 https://avenue613.blogspot.com/2026/09/september-2026-anything-goes-w-optional.html 

https://hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com/2026/09/challenge-202609-anything-goes-w.html 

https://aperfecttimetocraft.blogspot.com/2026/07/a-perfect-time-to-craft-open-challenge_01035597380.html 

https://allsortschallenge.blogspot.com/2026/09/challenge-858.html 

7 comments:

  1. Another beautiful piece, Carla! Thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue Create. I hope we see you on the front porch again soon!

    Hugs, Em
    613 Avenue Create Co-Owner
    A Place To Start DT
    Creative Em my blog
    Creative Em on YouTube my Youtube channel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done Carla, many thanks fir joining us at Allsorts challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's really lovely!
    Thank you for joining us at Allsorts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful piece of work. Thank you for sharing at Allsorts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so beautiful!!! Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card! Thank you for entering our challenge at 613 Avenue Create. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Regards,
    Mia
    Designer for 613 Avenue Create
    craftartista.blogspot.com {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading the comments left on my blog!